9:45 am - Sunday School
11am - Sunday Worship
6 pm - Sunday Evening
7 pm - Wednesday Evening
of Sale Creek First Baptist Church
The history of the Sale Creek
First Baptist Church is one of the most romantic of any in this entire
community. In the latter part of the 1800s, a group of Welsh
people settled in Sale Creek, Tennessee. David R. Griffith,
William Lloyd, William Richards, Harrell Davis, David Thomas, Daniel
Thomas, Thomas P. Lewis, and Thomas Price organized a church and built
a building in approximately 1882-85 and named it The Welsh Union
Church. The Welsh people sang their songs, gave their Sunday
school lessons, and delivered their messages in their own native
language. The church has some of the old Welsh Bibles in its
possession today. A large Bible presented to the church in
1882 before the building was built is also in the Church's possession.
A New Testament was left at the church by a child in 1895 and
was discovered during the remodeling of the building some time ago.
Years later, as God called the old
Saints home and the younger ones moved away, the church became the home
of Sale Creek Presbyterian Church. In the 1920s both the Sale
Creek Presbyterian and Baptist congregations shared the building.
Both groups attended church in separate services.
In 1926, the Presbyterians moved to their present location
and the building became occupied solely by Sale Creek Baptist.
On November 29, 1931, Sunday school was first organized, and
the church itself was reorganized in March 1932. In 1970 the
church's name was changed to its present name of Sale Creek First
Many renovations have been made to the
building. In 1945-46 the building was remodeled, adding a
school annex and a Baptismal pool. In 1956-57 the auditorium
remodeled and new siding added on the outside. In 1976 a
fellowship hall was added and new pews were purchased for the
auditorium. In 1982 a new educational building was erected
the Baptismal replaced. In 1990-91 extensive renovations were
done, including new gold stained windows, window treatments for the
fellowship hall and Sunday school rooms, along with bricking the
outside of the building.